Monday, October 15, 2012

Bad Reviews

Well, if you can’t handle bad reviews then you’re in the wrong business. I’ll want to understand specifics. Is this a good reviewer who has legitimate points? Or someone who, perhaps, this just is never going to be the kind of book they would like. Sort of like me reviewing a rom com –it’s just not something that’s going to really grab me, sorry.

If it’s the former, then I listen. And listen hard. Because that’s the thing about being the writer – you can never really read your book as an unbiased observer. Right? Impossible. Unless maybe you put it down for many, many years and then read it. No, probably not even then.

So I listen to ‘professionals’, what they think, and I have gone back after reviews and actually made edits based on input – particularly if I hear it from more than one reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment